NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

League Forums

Main - League Help

Dumb Question on current/fut potential

By Redneckgopher
6/23/2021 8:55 pm
So I should know this but just kinda always guessed

We can look at rating tab and see the red/blue bars
I get that the red bars show skills already developed and the blue bars indicate skills still to come which combined would display a cur and fut (or max) rating
So I guess that makes sense, then as going thru camp skills get honed and players improve and the blue bars become red moving the player closer to his ultimate potential or "Max" as they gain experience they increase to the "Max"

The dumb question relates to moving to another similar position and the severe drop in curr skill

So I've always assumed that this was a timeline snapshot or where player currently is at.
Let's say player is 5 years experience playing LG and is 79 out of a 80 max.
The next spot over say at LT shows a 35 curr and a 79 max,

Can someone riddle me how this works or what it actually represents? Surely or Shirley for some this cant mean if you play them as a Veteran their skill set will magically get reduced down to rookie levels? It cant be a case where the skill just disappears so what does playing this player at a 35/79 mean?
The "Max" values seem to coorelate to the player rating so it must be skills and that is the way I see it. But why so low on similar positions? Or slight OOP

Re: Dumb Question on current/fut potential

By TheAdmiral
6/24/2021 4:52 am
Redneckgopher wrote:
So I should know this but just kinda always guessed

We can look at rating tab and see the red/blue bars
I get that the red bars show skills already developed and the blue bars indicate skills still to come which combined would display a cur and fut (or max) rating
So I guess that makes sense, then as going thru camp skills get honed and players improve and the blue bars become red moving the player closer to his ultimate potential or "Max" as they gain experience they increase to the "Max"

The dumb question relates to moving to another similar position and the severe drop in curr skill

So I've always assumed that this was a timeline snapshot or where player currently is at.
Let's say player is 5 years experience playing LG and is 79 out of a 80 max.
The next spot over say at LT shows a 35 curr and a 79 max,

Can someone riddle me how this works or what it actually represents? Surely or Shirley for some this cant mean if you play them as a Veteran their skill set will magically get reduced down to rookie levels? It cant be a case where the skill just disappears so what does playing this player at a 35/79 mean?
The "Max" values seem to coorelate to the player rating so it must be skills and that is the way I see it. But why so low on similar positions? Or slight OOP

It means he's more likely to make errors and/or give penalties away. I think 'form' comes into play as well, ie if he's playing well, he'll adapt and play at or closer to his maximum. Plus a good position coach will help his development and his intelligence (football smarts) and discipline should give an indicator as to whether he's a quick learner or a remedial class dunce

By raymattison21
9/14/2021 6:19 am
It just positional experience. The weights are tied to your players weights but the low number is just to represent how well someone knows the position. Every little bit counts but if someone is listed OoP he will never reach the max there thus being less capable. Does it really matter not really imo. Play familiarity matters more and that can translate from position no matter the position change. To me that’s the difference between here and real football. But this is there to represent learning the new position. Pre draft the numbers are slightly different but closer to each other related position.A created DL is closer to LB than to DB but it may be only a few points and the rate it goes up is moderated by intelligence. So there something to play there. But again the ratings matter more. Say they are equal this is one of the difference makers.

By Redneckgopher
9/15/2021 12:08 pm
thanks Ray
It's understandable that a player will be familiar with one position but definitely not an OOP
so then the values make sense. The more you play OOP or whatev then player get better at it and the familiarity goes up.
However, this is the confusing part to me.

As example, my weights will be diff of course

on the player details I see his RATING default future max at 65
then my weights have the player at future max at 78
OK so if I establish that his future max is 78 (my weights) then when I look at POSITION
I see the corresponding max rating also posted here and because he is only 3 seasons along he has not reached his max potential and currently sits at 75 out of 78

But here is where (for me) it still isn't clear
1)so tell me exactly: is the position value ONLY his experience at the position? and the following values his experience at the OOP?
2) Why on most players are the future max used as the max experience? Doesn't make sense it should be out of 100. So to me and for many seasons playing this game when looking at the position value I used it to mean how he was progressing to his max rating rather than strictly as "experience at a position"

To me it would make sense if they were like on a separate scale where the values were different, as well as a current/max RATING scale somewhere to judge how the player was progressing.
To me it sure looks like the position value is using the Max Rating and not a Max experience. That then leads to my next thought that is the OOP based on experience? and if so what scale is it using becuase the OOP uses quite a different set of values and if they are based on my weights? Ithought this was supposd to be based on experience so why and how the overlap.

Still does not make sense tome but I use it more as the top value in position is how far the player is along his SKILL RATING and the OOP values to indicate a pseudo EXPERIENCE RATING

I'm sure I have you confused now and likely I am just thick headed on my meds, hehe
thanks for bearing with me

By raymattison21
9/15/2021 1:23 pm
Hmmmm... there also is experience and that’s tied to age or years in the league. Not sure the complete logic behind that one but you might be referring to that. As that not tied to the position but affects them differently. Example is a cover guy either choosing to go for a pick or just knock it down.

Then there’s positional experience ( already talked about but I will go into more depth) that’s the default scores which is tied to the position and your weights. Essentially that’s out of 100 but is how you sets your weights which drives the lower than 100 numbers. I value speed a lot so it’s impossible for my oline or dline to get 100 cause of their max speed due to weight in pounds.

Here If you play a snap at the position you will gain positional experience there .At the mid week spin you gain some too but it’s only tied to the position the player listed at on his card.

As for familiarity like the others is tied to snaps and intelligence. This is really there just to make the players have no real ceiling. As one can always get better per say. Also, if an opponent Overuses plays and you scouted those plays it could deliver higher skill ratings than shown on the card. So something is going on there.

As for max future value s they will change if you guys a boomer and is trending up. As the current will be chasing the max as it rises along with it.

And I am just trying to put everything out there hopefully being something your looking for. Cause the ratings for OoP players have a hidden value for the positions ideal weight like 198 for a wr. That’s 60 pounds away for a TE so in my weights for the future value he may gain ten current and overall points by the time his weight trends to 257.

I don’t really pay attention to the current or never have as I think it’s contributing factors are low compared to skill ratings,experience, and familiarity. Even below scouting plays as that messes with skill ratings.

Anyway happy to help even if it’s the long road to the answer as I learn new stuff about the game this way. By just asking the right questions. Sometimes they are so pointed that jdb doesn’t respond as it might be too reveling to code. But in general he’s pretty open to any