NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

League Forums

Main - Team News

Peruvian Air Snakes

By outdooreli
2/02/2021 1:02 am
It's 2113.
The whole league: "I've had it with these M'Fn Snakes on this M'Fn plane".

But today, in 2108, its going to be a rough offseason. Our team is in a sad state of affairs.
The new GM strolled into the office on the last day of the league season and told 24 players to pack up and don't bother coming back. We don't stand for 2-13 seasons here.

So now there are just 29 Flying Serpents. A mere shell of a team.

Well..... make that 30. The #1 pick is signed, sealed, and delivered. A no-brainer if there were one, and the lowest risk there can be.

Beyond that... well, Round 2, pick 2 is on the block. And Round 3, pick 1. And so on. the Sky Vipers would like a volume of picks, playing the odds and filling out this young roster. This draft, next draft, the draft after that, the Airborne Asps are looking to build through all of them (as dead cap makes FA a stretch for two years at least).

Beware the Boeing Boas, eventually. You'll have been warned. Ha ha.

***Thanks Admiral for a fun league**

Re: Peruvian Air Snakes

By outdooreli
2/03/2021 6:43 pm
Players 31, 32, and 33 signed in first round of FA, nothing spectacular, but getting younger.
Only spurned by one player, a CB who got my second-best offer of the round, but had no interest in joining us in the Andes Mountains for training camp.

Added two offensive linemen, K. Stephens and O. Tanner. Five year pros who will start if and when my drafted OLs bust. But they aren't going to move the line of scrimmage or run out in front of a toss play, so more work is needed on the interior line. I figure a line of five guys in the low 80's/high 70's will be enough to win a few games but that's not a playoff team...

On the defensive side, we added Basil Fritz, a speedy safety with mediocre cover skills. But, with a total of 1 defensive back on the roster as of the season's start, we needed something to build on, so we overpaid for Fritzy. However, he's a lock for the Gunner #2 spot and could someday move down to WLB when age starts to wear out the legs. He's at least a decent tackler, which I will need because this league is going to tear me up on medium-range passes with the LBs on my team right now!

Our dedicated fan section, The Snake Pit, is getting a little more excited about the team as FA2 approaches and has a big draft day to look forward to as the new ownership puts their mark on the roster.

By outdooreli
2/08/2021 11:23 pm
May as well keep up this thread -- considering how much time I spend on this website ...
Ha!

Surprising nobody, the Serpents went with future defensive captain Walter Goff to open the 2108 draft. Goff, the reigning Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year and Heisman runner-up became the first Kansas player to go #1 overall since famed Cleveland QB Harry Farmer in 2067. He is assured a roster spot and has been given a playbook with the hopes he'll develop into a shutdown corner with an eye for the FL Hitch.

In the second round, the Snakes in a Cloud grabbed a fast TE with pick #2. Keith Kurtz, known in scouting circles as "the Florida Man", is a solid blocker whose 84 speed and 84 courage mean he'll catch a handful of the misguided throws to the TE in triple-coverage that usually end up as INTs. With 72 volatility, though, he may bust and end up as a FB. With pick #21, the Peruvians were happy to find a solid three-position LB in Oscar Donovan, a Junior college standout from Cal-Northridge who climbed up the draft charts after a good showing at the combine. He's yet another high volatility player, through, so if his coverage skills don't translate to the pro game, he'll be an expensive third-string defensive end.

Prior to the draft the Andes Dragons grabbed players 34 and 35 in the last days of FA. We decided to bring back Tony Lombardi, great great great great great great great great grandson of the legendary Vince Lombardi to fill in at LB depth. He was our WLB last year and new ownership let his contract expire, but after a day with no competing offers, he was happy to rejoin the Serpents for a respectable salary.

The second signee was a depth WR named James John, aka Jimmy John. Signed only for name purposes and a need for offensive players to fill out the roster.

By TheAdmiral
2/09/2021 7:20 am
outdooreli wrote:
May as well keep up this thread -- considering how much time I spend on this website ...
Ha!

Surprising nobody, the Serpents went with future defensive captain Walter Goff to open the 2108 draft. Goff, the reigning Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year and Heisman runner-up became the first Kansas player to go #1 overall since famed Cleveland QB Harry Farmer in 2067. He is assured a roster spot and has been given a playbook with the hopes he'll develop into a shutdown corner with an eye for the FL Hitch.

In the second round, the Snakes in a Cloud grabbed a fast TE with pick #2. Keith Kurtz, known in scouting circles as "the Florida Man", is a solid blocker whose 84 speed and 84 courage mean he'll catch a handful of the misguided throws to the TE in triple-coverage that usually end up as INTs. With 72 volatility, though, he may bust and end up as a FB. With pick #21, the Peruvians were happy to find a solid three-position LB in Oscar Donovan, a Junior college standout from Cal-Northridge who climbed up the draft charts after a good showing at the combine. He's yet another high volatility player, through, so if his coverage skills don't translate to the pro game, he'll be an expensive third-string defensive end.

Prior to the draft the Andes Dragons grabbed players 34 and 35 in the last days of FA. We decided to bring back Tony Lombardi, great great great great great great great great grandson of the legendary Vince Lombardi to fill in at LB depth. He was our WLB last year and new ownership let his contract expire, but after a day with no competing offers, he was happy to rejoin the Serpents for a respectable salary.

The second signee was a depth WR named James John, aka Jimmy John. Signed only for name purposes and a need for offensive players to fill out the roster.

Two WR's called James John in the League, yours is 'Little' John. Big Bad John is one of the Leagues elite - Little John, isn't ;o)

By outdooreli
2/13/2021 10:45 am
The draft is over for the Snakes on a Plane and we feel pretty good about the 19 rookies we'll be bringing to camp. With only three cuts to make, pending any last minute waiver wire additions, most of these rookies will make the team. And, we have a total of $14,000 left under the cap. Magnificent.

As noted in prior posts, the team's first three picks are guaranteed a spot on the roster, due only to the cap hit it would cost to cut them. Beyond that, though, no player is guaranteed a spot and we look forward to a tough competition through the pre-season.

There will be some battles for playing time along the offensive line, with five rookies and a second year player fighting for two starting spots and two backup roles. At least one of these guys won't make the opening day roster. There is also intrigue in the secondary as there are 5 rookies, a lot of speed, and very little skill on coverage. We'll need some real growth from this group or we'll be the league's worst secondary.

In other news, the Flying Serpents from the South added a few veterans in key roles to build out the roster. These additions are meant to bring stability and class to a rowdy locker room, and to help the young guys adjust to LOL life on and off the field. Let's give them a roster spot now, too. Spot #36 goes to QB Christian Brown, an 11-year vet and the best available kick holder on the market. He will probably never take a snap at QB, but that's okay. Spot #37 was given to former TE, now LG, David Criddle and RT and 8-yr pro Roy Beshears seems to have the backup RT spot, roster #38, nailed down. Speedy WLB Donald Cross took a veterans minimum contract with a fat bonus, so spot #39 is his. And, in a move management might regret, we brought in Victor Verdin, a sub-60's rated DB, to play SS and take roster spot #40. Verdin has a checkered past and has not played at the level expected from the former 3rd round pick.

The Snake Pit is excited for the first camp under new ownership and we'll check back in with them after we see the booms and busts of year #1. After camp, anyone with more than 3 years experience will probably be on the block for future picks.

Cheers and stay well everyone. Thanks for reading this nonsense. It's fun.

By outdooreli
2/22/2021 11:50 pm
An exciting pre-season. I chose not to upload a playbook just to see what I was working with. Some talented rookies, but overall this team is going to have some growing pains.

49 of 53 roster positions are set. Some are desperation placeholders. I hope my third string FS never has to play in a meaningful game. All in all, camp and preseason made professional LOL players of:
RB Ward Bishop, Tennessee. He'll get carries when the starting RB is recovering
TE Charles Sollars, Oklahoma St. Acquired for a future 2nd from the Admirals at the draft, he had a nice camp and looks to be a good blocking TE
Unimpressive WR Donald Barnes (Texas A+M), who was originally thought to be RB material, isheaded for a practice squad role.
Centers Lewis Kintzel (UCLA) and Michael Carter (Southern Methodist), draft picks that didn't bust along a weak OL, so they get a spot for this season.
SLB Louis Perez (DII Alcorn State), a 100 vol undrafted free agent who boomed. We'll take it.
SS Willie Ramos (Penn State), a 100 vol draft day cut who boomed. We'll take it.
FS Paul Alexander (football powerhouse Tennessee Tech), CB Cody Robitaille (Kentucky), and FS Reginald McGraw (Pittsburgh) also made the team. There's nothing more to say about any of them.

Ownership met with the team today and asked for a 16-0 season.
Ownership met with the coaching staff today and set expectations at 8-8 this year.
Ownership then prepared to finish 4-12 in this competitive league.
There is a long way to go for the Flying Serpents.

Last edited at 2/22/2021 11:51 pm