NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

cap management

By TheAdmiral
2/21/2020 7:03 am
Contract Negotiation For Dummies

And remember that each new Base Salary MUST increase by at least 5% each year.[/quote]

Re: cap management

By TheAdmiral
2/21/2020 7:16 am
Also, in my opinion it is best to review contracts at the start of each season and make decisions as to whether to renegotiate a players contract, cut/trade him or let his contract run down.

Be aware that if you offer a multi year contract to a 12 year vet you will have to continue to pay the bonus until the end of the contract, even if he retires (dead cap).

If you trade a player with a multi year contract you have to swallow the bonus payments as dead cap.

Be aware of signing a player that takes you over the Cap as the AI may decide to cut player(s) to get you under the cap - this may include the player(s) you've just traded for. AI for MFN is stoopid
Last edited at 2/21/2020 7:16 am

By Mcarovil
2/21/2020 11:11 am
Sucks that the AI didn’t resign a ton of talent so now FA is going to be wild. The rich get richer.

By TheAdmiral
2/21/2020 11:47 am
Mcarovil wrote:
Sucks that the AI didn’t resign a ton of talent so now FA is going to be wild. The rich get richer.

Playas gonna get paid

By Smirt211
2/21/2020 12:57 pm
Yeah, how I work it is as Year 2 of a league commences I do every single re-sign I want - 6 years. (Dispersal League, when re-signs first become available)

From there on out at FA #1 I hit up the just turned rookies to Experience: 2 and re-sign to 6 years.

I don't over-think it because too many teams (far less now) so I'm not going to stagger things perfectly. It's utilitarian. Just get it done, clear whatever space you can.

Last edited at 2/21/2020 12:57 pm

By TheAdmiral
4/26/2020 4:36 pm
Season coming to its climax, last chance to get players on longer deals.

Also reminder to sign up for Season 5!

By TheAdmiral
9/20/2020 6:43 am
Just a little bump to refresh your memories. Best to get this tedious task done between TC and GW1.

This is a vital aspect of the game (and helps you to be competitive and avoid getting your team into financial ****).

The original post is not my work but it is sound advice.

Other points to remember.

1. DO NOT USE THE RENEGOTIATION WIZARD

This is simply a fast track to a massive financial millstone around the neck.

2. DO NOT IGNORE CONTRACT RENEGOTIATION

Yes, it's the dullest part of the game. Get it done in pre-season, even if you only do five to ten players per turnspin.

3. PRIORITISE AND STRATEGIZE

Prioritise the key players in your team but strategize on how long they can stay relevant.

> Players tend to regress after the ninth season and in particular for the fundamentals of speed, strength and acceleration.

> Decide how long you think a player will be viable as a starter or as a backup

> REMEMBER: Bonus payments have to be paid, even if you trade the player OR he retires. Therefore signing a 12 year player to a six year contract may ease your cap space today but it can cripple you down the road as 'dead cap'

> A player with a low salary is 'easier' to trade ALWAYS CONSIDER A PLAYERS CONTRACT WHEN TRADING

> Always consider cap space down the line when bidding for players in Free Agency.

A league with teams that have teams with well maintained cap is super competitive and therefore more fun to be part of it.
Last edited at 9/20/2020 6:44 am

By billyvan1989
11/04/2020 12:24 pm
if all that doesnt work. lol be like me let the AI fired every players on the team and redo the team from scratch.

By TheAdmiral
5/03/2021 6:23 am
NUDGE - Just a gentle reminder to check your players contracts and renew those you want to keep.

Cap room can be an issue at this stage and you need to make some tricky decisions as to who gets paid and who you allow to leave. If you follow the 'Maximum bonus' contract strategy, you should be able to ease a tight cap somewhere on the roster. I prefer at this stage to keep some players on lower bonus rates to give me more wriggle room at the end of the season.

I would also recommend staggering contracts and taking into account when a player is likely to become surplus to requirements eg giving an 80+ speed WR a 6 year contract with max bonus when he's a 7 year veteran as you are just making heavy cap hits for yourself when you have to cut the guy halfway through his contract. If you were to give all your players 6 year contracts you quickly find yourself having to cut players to make room for rookies.

The above is something I have been guilty of across many Leagues and something I still need to improve. Forward planning for 3, 4, 5 seasons down the line will keep your team competitive and relevant. Sometimes it's just better to let a players contract run out rather than give them the 'millstone around the neck' contract that hits your cap space hard and makes the player untradeable so you either have to take the cap hit by cutting him or keeping a player becoming more and more ineffectual with each passing game.

By TheAdmiral
5/30/2021 4:42 pm
TheAdmiral wrote:
NUDGE - Just a gentle reminder to check your players contracts and renew those you want to keep.

Cap room can be an issue at this stage and you need to make some tricky decisions as to who gets paid and who you allow to leave. If you follow the 'Maximum bonus' contract strategy, you should be able to ease a tight cap somewhere on the roster. I prefer at this stage to keep some players on lower bonus rates to give me more wriggle room at the end of the season.

I would also recommend staggering contracts and taking into account when a player is likely to become surplus to requirements eg giving an 80+ speed WR a 6 year contract with max bonus when he's a 7 year veteran as you are just making heavy cap hits for yourself when you have to cut the guy halfway through his contract. If you were to give all your players 6 year contracts you quickly find yourself having to cut players to make room for rookies.

The above is something I have been guilty of across many Leagues and something I still need to improve. Forward planning for 3, 4, 5 seasons down the line will keep your team competitive and relevant. Sometimes it's just better to let a players contract run out rather than give them the 'millstone around the neck' contract that hits your cap space hard and makes the player untradeable so you either have to take the cap hit by cutting him or keeping a player becoming more and more ineffectual with each passing game.

BUMP: A gentle reminder to start thinking about your players futures and get contract extensions done and dusted (if you haven't done so already)

Even if you don't plan to stay on for next season, please leave your team as you'd hope to find it, ie financially sound